Mind the Gap!

So, in a flash, the rest of tour happened. In fact, the rest of spring break happened.

To recap, our route was:

Williamstown –> Palmer, MA –> Clinton, NY

And we finished with

Clinton –> Binghamton, NY –> Hockessin, DE –> River Edge, NJ

Our concerts were always very well-received. Most of us got to conduct at least one piece this semester, which is very exciting, since freshmen usually don’t get the opportunity. (Again, no recordings from tour, but I can give some YouTube links for some idea of what we sang.) Among my favorites:

Sicut Cervus (Palestrina)

Bon jor, et puis, quelles nouvelles? (di Lassus)

Hark, all ye lovely saints above (Weelkes)

Daemon Irrepit Callidus (Orbán) (actually, I’ll hold the link for this one, tee hee.)

Many places had a reception for us, and some even gave us food to bring home. Most notable, I’d say, was a manila envelope stuffed with peanut butter and raisin cookies that we got from Good Shepherd Fairview Home in Binghamton (here I go talking about food again!). Oh heck, why not. We also carried around the cake we received from St. Thomas Church at the beginning of the week (I’m not exactly sure what the fate of that cake was…) and a large tub of spaghetti left over from Monday night. Due to this site’s storage limit, I can’t show the pictures, but I sure took them!

We spent our day off in Philadelphia at the Franklin Institute, a science museum. The place was very, very-kid oriented, which is good and all, but imagine poor Rob and me, waiting for a good opportunity to walk in and explore the giant room-sized human heart, watching wave after wave of small children run through! Nonetheless, we got the most out of our tickets and trekked through the interactive walk-in heart. You know, kids do slow down for you if a) you’re big enough, and b) you’re not babysitting them.

After an Ethiopian-style dinner, we saw “The French Connection” performed by the Philadelphia orchestra. I must very affectionately say that the conductor, Stéphane Denéve, was very intense and slightly crazy. He cued the first note of Dutilleux’s Métaboles by facing away from the ensemble and pointing at (rather, stabbing at) the half of the group to be cued. I would love to cue the piece I’m conducting that way! Do you think the directors would let me? (Actually, they already said no. Meh. I tried.)

Anyways, you should all come to our spring concert, which is SATURDAY, APRIL 23, 2011 at 4PM in Thompson Chapel, right on Main Street. You’ll actually get to listen to us and not YouTube recordings of other people!

That’s all! I hope you all had exciting breaks, and now we turn to the last six weeks…

Best,

Craig