Trenton: Adrienne Lu '97

Trenton. Without listing too many stereotypes that would reveal how narrow-minded I could be…let’s just say I was pleasantly surprised. I drove to the state capital to meet Adrienne Lu ’97, a Staff Writer at the Philadelphia Inquirer.  Because her beat is the state government and politics of New Jersey, she’s posted in the state building, right above the office of the Governor and other important, titled officials.

I have to say, it’s a pretty stately place to visit. I waited in line behind the wiggling busloads of school children, but unsympathetically left them behind to head up the second floor to Press Row.

I love writers, especially journalists. And I love visiting their offices because there’s a certain chaos to them. Even when it’s quiet, there’s impending chaos…e-mails, phone calls, press releases, deadlines. Exciting!

Adrienne has been in the business since graduating. She got her start at the Williams Record and has worked various stints at papers across the country. Journalism, she admits, is not for the faint of heart. It takes real commitment and often, sacrifice. But, Adrienne clearly loves her work. Like many of the Ephs I know, one of the things Adrienne enjoys most about her job is being paid to follow her curiosity. Not a bad deal, right? It’s kind of like college, but less debt.